The Vols are riding a ton of momentum on the field right now. This weekend’s trip to Mizzou saw Tennessee leave with bowl eligibility for the first time since 2016. This weekend, the Vols will look to end the season on a five game winning streak by beating Vanderbilt. Not only will the Vols reap the on-field benefits of a bowl game, but recruiting should get a considerable boost as the early signing period approaches.
The Vols have several top prospects announcing soon, and look to be in a good position with at least a couple of them. Here’s a list of five prospects that will be announcing soon, with a couple that could commit at anytime:
- 4* (DE) Tyler Baron – The Knoxville-Catholic product has been arguably the Vols top target for a while and deservedly so. The Vols need defensive linemen in this class and Baron, one of the nation’s best, would fill a huge need. This one looks like it will come down to Tennessee, Kentucky, and Ohio State. Baron will announce on the first day of the early signing period.
Commitment Date: December 18th
- 4* (DL) Omari Thomas – The biggest thing Thomas brings to the table is his versatility. So much so that he’s being recruited as both an offensive and defensive lineman. He projects at DT in college though, so naturally, the Vols need him badly. Fellow Vol target Tyler Baron also recognizes this, and has apparently discussed this with Thomas. Baron’s other finalists aren’t common with Thomas, so that could be a great sign for the Vols.
Commitment Date: December 9th
- 4* (LB) Len’Neth Whitehead – The Georgia product would be a great addition to an already strong linebacker class. Whitehead was supposed to announce on November 15th, but is reportedly torn between two schools. Tennessee and South Carolina have been the top teams here for a while. Since he was already supposed to announce, it could really be anytime now. He’ll reportedly take some more visits, but the longer it goes on, the greater the Vols’ chances.
Commitment Date: Unknown/Could be soon
- 4* (DE) Reggie Grimes – Grimes has kept his recruitment pretty quiet for the most part. The Ravenwood High School product is an Alabama legacy, so obviously Bama is going to be a factor here. Additionally, South Carolina has hung around for the long haul. Tennessee is definitely in this one, and the Vols recent success could be a key element for Grimes.
Commitment Date: November 28th
- 3* (DT) Octavious Oxendine – Along with having one of the best names in this class, Oxendine would bring a lot of size to the Vols D-line. Kentucky is the home-state school here, so beating out the Wildcats may be tough. However, Brian Niedermeyer is his primary recruiter, so I would never count out the Moose.
Commitment Date: December 18th
If the Vols can close the season at 7-5 and also win a bowl game somewhere warm, it would be a huge boost for the last couple of months of the 2020 class. Momentum is everything in recruiting and the Vols are riding the wave.
Gambling this season? Want to try it just to see what it feels like? Go to MyBookie.ag and use promo code ARMCHAIR25 at checkout. They will match your deposit dollar for dollar. Putting in $100? You’ll now have $200.